Racing at Weston
If you enjoy dinghy racing, Weston runs handicap racing from January through to the end of each year. Southampton Water's double tide enables two or three races to be held per day depending on the event. Weston has supported many National, European, and World champion sailors over the years.
WSC continues to look for new and helpful advice from members to improve the sailing for all. Contact email@example.com
Come and try racing at WSC - we offer day sailing permits for potential new members and Club boats may also be available for hire.
Weston SC's Racing events can be found on the Calendar on the members portal and events are being added/updated throughout the year. you can import individual events to your own calendar or subscribe to the calendar using the provided links.
Racing at Weston is all year round, subject to tides, although usually reduced in January when Training, Work Parties, and Pound checks take place. Racing adheres to the RYA Racing Charter
The Sailing Programme for 2021 splits racing into the following main types of activity
Races to count:
- Open Freezer Series - 9 from 12
- Spring Series - 9 from 12
- Summer Heat Series - 13 from 18
- Evening Series - 7 from 10
- Winter Series - 9 from 12
- Cup Weekends - 4 from 6
- Pursuit Race Series - 4 from 6 (when run)
Note: Single start(s) and single course(s) for Pursuit Races, the January Cup and the Open Freezer Series
WSC Fleets for 2021
Single starts (but not courses) are usually used for Club series racing and single start/single course for the January Cup and the Open Freezer Series
WSC Fleets are split as below for Club Cup and some Open racing, although the RO may combine starts (but not courses) if starting numbers are low and it is safe to do so.
- FAST - (Fleet no. 1) - PN 942 and faster
- Catamarans and Monohull
- RO will usually set a windward/leeward course
- MEDIUM - (Fleet no. 2) - PN 943 to 1013 (inclusive)
- Monohull only
- RS600 and IC race in Medium fleet but all other boats must be in correct fleet for PY handicap
- SLOW - (Fleet no. 3) - PN 1014 and slower
- Monohull only
- Any monohull boats having an asymmetric spinnaker within PY range 1014 - 1109 may sail in the Medium fleet
Courses set, will usually be Windward / Leeward, Trapezoidal, or Triangle, at the request of Fleet Captains. Inflatable marker buoys and some fixed marks will be used.
Club starts will be from a shore based race box using a transit and inflatable outer distance mark (ODM). Fleet starts may be combined by the Race Officer for WSC club racing, this will be advised on the course board.
Last updated 10:44 on 21 February 2021